This past Saturday afternoon, May 11, the Beverly Hilton and LadyLike Foundation founder Leah Pump welcomed an illustrious group of young women for the 11th Annual LadyLike Foundation Women of Excellence Luncheon which honored Storm Reid, Marjorie Harvey, Carrie O’dell, and Jordin Sparks. The nonprofit organization, whose mission is to educate, empower and inspire young girls living in underprivileged communities around the Greater Los Angeles area, hosted this annual fundraiser to honor women in the community and who are “Excellent” in their fields of occupation and philanthropy. The event also takes time to recognize its college scholarship recipients for the year.
Highlights from the ceremony included:
- Notable attendees included Sean “P Diddy” Combs, Martin Lawrence, Tina Knowles, Cookie Johnson, Jaleel White, Debra Lee, Marjorie Harvey (Honoree), Lori Harvey, Storm Reid (Honoree), Jazz Smollet, Vanessa Simmons, Vanessa Williams, Dr. Nita Landry, Dr. Noelle Reid, Akira Akbar, Crystal Lee Brown, Lyric Ross, Nika King, Ciera Payton, Vanessa Bell Colloway (Host), Chris Spencer, Sugar Ray Leonard, Quincy Brown, and Chloe Bailey
- 10 young ladies received scholarships to further their college educations
- Sean “P Diddy” Combs pledged $100,000 to the organization
- Scholarship recipient Aromni Gumbs shared her heroic story of travelling to the event on the LA Metro and her experience in the foster system. She was surprised when Marjorie Harvey pledged that she and husband Steve Harvey would fund all fours years of Aromni’s college education and offered her a ride home!
- The LadyLike Foundation fashion show delighted the crowds with appearances from Jessie James, D’lila Star, and Chance Combs, Callie Taylor, Gigi Johnson, Bodhi Brown, London George, Trinitee Sutton, Lucky Rose Kyles and more youth models.
This year’s honorees have each made an impact in their communities and utilized their various platforms to continue to inspire and encourage young ladies to fulfill their goals and not allow obstacles of any nature to permit them from becoming the best that they can be.
Funds raised at the 11thAnnual LadyLike Foundation Women of Excellence Luncheon will enable LadyLike Foundation to provide scholarships to college bound young ladies from the inner city of Los Angeles, as well as continue their international and local programs. In 2018, the foundation was able to provide four $5000 rewards to a group of deserving scholars to continue to pursue their education.
For more information on the LadyLike Foundation, their programs and to support you can visit www.theladylike.com or follow them on Twitter @uratruelady.