Featured Recipes: Time For Comfort Foods. Butternut Squash Soup and Bacon and Herbs Mac 'n' Cheese
Butternut Squash Soup
6 tablespoons chopped onion
4 tablespoons margarine
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
2. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.
Inspired by Source:
Bacon and Herbs Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Now is the perfect time for comfort food in my opinion. To me it just feels like the time of year to have fried foods and macaroni and cheese. This mac and cheese recipe has bacon , but feel free to omit if need be.
12 ounces elbow macaroni
3 strips bacon (about 2.5 oz.), chopped $
3 tablespoons melted butter, divided $
1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs such as tarragon, parsley, chives, and/or rosemary
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup brie cheese, cut into chunks $
1/2 cup cream cheese, cut into chunks $
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese $
1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to broil. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes, then drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tbsp. grease. Set bacon aside.
3. In the warm pasta pot, mix reserved grease, 2 tbsp. butter, the herbs, onions, garlic, and soft cheeses. Mix in warm pasta and bacon. Spoon into 4 ramekins (1 1/2-cup size); sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
4. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tbsp. butter and the bread crumbs, stirring to combine. Sprinkle evenly over cheese.
5. Broil ramekins until golden and bubbling, about 3 minutes.