Louis Gossett Jr., David Alan Grier and Tamela Mann Join cast of “The Color Purple”
Casting updates for Warner Bros. Pictures upcoming film, The Color Purple, has added a few familiar faces to the lineup.
Louis Gossett Jr. has been cast as Ol’ Mister, David Alan Grier as Reverend Avery, and Tamela Mann as the First Lady. Phylicia Mpasi will join as Young Celie, Deon Cole as Alfonso, and Stephen Hill as Buster.
Additional casting and film information is listed below:
- Grammy Award-winning musical artist Fantasia Barrino as Celie, in her feature debut
- Danielle Brooks (HBO Max’s The Peacemaker, Netflix’s Orange is the New Black) as Sofia
- Emmy nominee Taraji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, TV’s Empire) as Shug Avery
- Colman Domingo (Zola, Lincoln) as Mister
- Corey Hawkins (In the Heights, Straight Outta Compton) as Harpo
- Actor and Grammy-nominated musical artist Halle Bailey (TV’s Grown-ish) as Young Nettie
- Grammy- and Oscar-winning singer H.E.R. as Squeak, in her feature debut
- Oscar and Emmy winner Louis Gossett Jr. (An Officer and a Gentleman, TV’s Roots) as Ol’ Mister
- David Alan Grier (Native Son, Netflix’s Dad Stop Embarrassing Me) as Reverand Avery
- Tamela J. Mann (Madea Goes to Jail, Diary of a Mad Black Woman) as First Lady
- Phylicia Mpasi as Young Celie, in her feature debut
- Actor and Emmy-nominated writer Deon Cole (The Harder They Fall, TV’s Black-ish) as Alfonso
- Stephen Hill (TV’s Magnum P.I., Widows) as Buster
The Color Purple is coming to theatres worldwide in December 2023.